Pages

Sunday, October 19, 2014

Servant of Peace

As we made our decision to homeschool I discovered very quickly that our home left something to be desired in the areas of being peaceful and comfortable. So, I begin to pray. My first inclination was to pray that the Lord would change my children into children who loved each other and change my husband into a "more godly" man who will listen to my way of doing things more readily. I also thought about praying for a house since we had made the decision to homeschool now and be at home all day....

{Since that time I learned that God has supplied all my needs according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus. What I have is what I need at this time. Philippians 4:19 It's all in how you look at your "needs" and your "wants" }

I was impressed to pray instead for God to change me.  So I prayed that He would change me into the wife my husband needed, that He would change me into the mother who could model good and kind behavior for her children and discipline them in love. I prayed most earnestly for a peaceful, holy, happy home.  And something began to happen right away. It's not the peace of the soul that I am speaking of here, but the peace of order, quiet, congeniality and kindness.  These traits in the members of a family can encourage the peace of our souls which only Christ can bring. 
Here are a few ways to create the servant of peace in your home:  


I personally cannot pursue a wise management of my home apart from my relationship with the Lord.  I need to cry out to Him daily for the ability to faithfully complete the task He has called me to do.  Even if I can just take a few moments to pray, pick a verse to meditate on throughout the day, I am strengthened to complete my homemaking responsibilities with a joyful countenance. May the Joy of the Lord be your strength.
Nehemiah 8:9-12  Starting each day with prayer, 
asking the Lord to give you a peaceful spirit and servant’s heart will go a long way in promoting peace in your home.
Keeping a clean home is one of the ways that I am creating a peaceful atmosphere in my home.  Decreasing my stress level in this manner allows me to have a better attitude, which in turns allows others in my home to be more content as well.  I am currently participating in the 31 Day Purge at A Bowl Full of Lemon's Blog  which is greatly assisting me in no longer organizing clutter but instead actually purging it.  I am sure you are wondering how I plan to maintain the cleaning part of a peaceful home. I am currently a Flybaby with Flylady.net because it has greatly assisted me in developing a consistent routine to maintain my home on a daily basis.

Next, seriously consider clearing your calendar. Most of us are way too busy and having a overly-hectic schedule does nothing but adds stress to everyone in the family.   We have to learn to prioritize our time, balance our priorities and cut out things that are non essential to making our home peaceful. 
Whether it’s meal planning or choosing what to wear the next day, planning ahead and preparing for the future will assist you in avoiding feeling frazzled and keep you from making last minute decisions. Not only will this benefit you, but your entire household.

Finally establish house rules and keep them out in the open so that your entire family can refer to them to assist in promoting peace.  
As our homes become a place of tranquility and rest, they will naturally become a haven to those who are weary and overwhelmed.  May we strive to allow the Peace Giver to rule, rest and abide in our homes each and every day.
Are you being a servant of peace in your home?  How can you promote peace in you home? 

No comments:

Post a Comment